Over the last few years, Japanese pulp and paper manufacturer Oji Group made news in Malaysia as it began to expand very quickly in the country by way of acquiring local companies, and then expanding its factories in the country.
In Malaysia, Oji Group operates six carton factories and two paper mills, beginning with the acquisition of a 75% stake in GS Paper & Packaging Sdn Bhd (GSPP), a major player in Malaysia’s domestic containerboard segment and the largest integrated paper and packaging manufacturer in 2010. The remaining 25% is held by Manubeni Corp, a Japanese trading giant.
Overseas, Oji Group has operations in China, India, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Myanmar.
Generally, corrugated carton companies in Malaysia lack economies of scale and are not competitive.