The Future Logging Careers Act has now been introduced in both the Senate and the House. The Senate bill number is S. 2335 and the House bill umber is H.R. 4590. Both bills have been referred to Committees which are the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions and the House Committee on Education and the Workforce.
The majority of the bills that get referred to committees stop right there. If we are serious about moving the Future Logging Careers Act out of committee, then we all must do our part to make that happen.
We should be directly contacting the respective committee members and requesting their support. There is a committee member target list attached with phone and fax numbers. If you are a constituent or have connections with either your Senate or House member, then it is imperative that you contact their office and seek support for the legislation as soon as possible.
John Deere has also made available their JDGAIN site where you can simply go to the link provided, enter your name, address and phone number, and send a copy of the letter directly to your House member and two U.S. Senators.
To quickly send a message to your Member of Congress go here >>
- Once you have reached the site, enter your name (and business name if desired), home address, and email address. Click Continue.
- The system automatically uses your home address to find your U.S. Senators and Member of Congress. They will be listed above a pre-populated message for your review and use.
- Feel free to revise the message as you see fit; your name and address should be included at the bottom of the letter.
- When you are ready to send the communication, scroll down to "Choose how you want to deliver your message..." and select "Send electronically" and click the "Print/Send" button. Note: We do not recommend sending a written letter via postal mail due to the extended time it will take to process the letter.
- You have now made your voice heard on Capitol Hill!
If the link does not work, simply copy and paste the link into your browser to gain access to the site.
It is imperative that we contact directly as many House and Senate offices as possible to make them aware of the bill, so please pass this alert and link along to anyone who you feel is willing to respond, including other organizations including vendors who you do business with. If you do not have a House member or Senator on the target list, contact them anyway. We will need a majority in both the House and Senate to pass the bill once it comes to the floor for a vote!
Michigan Target List
Tim Walberg Phone: 202-225-6276 Fax: 202-225-6281
Wisconsin Target List
Tammy Baldwin Phone: 202-225-2906 Fax: 202-225-6942
Tom Petri Phone: 202-225-2476 Fax: 202-225-2356
Mark Pocan Phone: 202-225-2906 Fax: 202-225-6942
Any feedback that you receive should be relayed back to the ALC office so that we can track the progress of the bill and co-sponsors.
There are 44 like minded organizations supporting this bill and a copy of the support letter with the list of supporters is attached.
We have also included a copy of the bill that has been introduced for your review prior to making the call.
Thanks for all of the effort that you have already made towards making this bill move forward, and we look forward to getting across the goal line with your continued help!
Daniel J. Dructor
Executive Vice President
American Loggers Council